Our annual Memorial Day service project is just around the corner. Every year, our scouts have the honor of decorating the graves of Reading’s veterans and participating in the Memorial Day Parade and Ceremony. Being a part of this community event is fun and represents some of the best aspects of scouting. But above all, it is an opportunity to honor those who’ve served.
Below are the details for this year’s Memorial Day activities.
Saturday, May 28th @ 9:00 AM – Distribute flags and flowers on veteran markers at Forest Glen Cemetery.
- Meet at Forest Glen Cemetery (Pearl St & Forest Glen Rd) to place flags and flowers on our veterans’ graves.
- Bring the 6 essentials for your scout and/or siblings and don’t forget to bring water!
Monday, May 30th @ TBD AM – Walk in the Reading Memorial Day Parade and attend the Memorial events.
- Line up directly in front of the Reading American Legion Post 37 on Ash St. Parade is a short walk to Laurel Hill Cemetery for the Memorial events.
- Webelos will carry our Flags in the parade. All Scouts should be in their full Class A uniform, tucked in and looking sharp. Parents are welcome to walk with us. All Leaders should wear their Tan uniform.
Sunday, June 12th @ 8:00 AM – Collect flags, flowers, and markers at Forest Glen Cemetery.
- Meet at Forest Glen Cemetery (Pearl St & Forest Glen Rd) to collect flags and flowers from our veterans’ graves.
- Bring the 6 essentials for your scout and/or siblings and don’t forget to bring water!.
Expectations are that we should be done on both May 28th and June 12th no later than 11:00 AM, definitely earlier if we get a good turnout of volunteers.
I look forward to seeing you at these events!